Half-marathon training - week 8 & burnout city

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Last week, I was spot on with my training. I did all my workouts, including a toughie 11 mile run on Sunday. This week is going to hell in a handbasket and I'm doing my best not to worry about it. Let's call it a taper week, shall we?

Monday was my rest day. No problem there. Tuesday I ran three miles as planned and felt great. And then yesterday happened.

Yesterday was gorgeous - sunny, record-breaking high temperatures, felt like a summer day. I ate lunch outside, took a walk with the baby, and was otherwise lazy all day. I just didn't feel like doing anything yesterday. You know that Bruno Mars song? That was me.

I was supposed to do five miles yesterday, but once Eli was in bed at 7:00 and Peter was home, I was having none of it. It was still warm out, perfect running weather, and I had plenty of daylight left, but I think I would have rather gone around the yard and eaten Rory's fossilized winter poos than put on my sneakers. I was exhausted and I didn't want to go anywhere. Instead, we had a barbecue, watched Community, and I went to bed at 9:00 and passed out. And I don't feel bad about it.

I won't be running tonight, either. I'm going to see The Hunger Games!! I can't remember the last time I was this excited for a movie. I didn't think twice about missing today's run in favour of going to the movie. I don't want to let training interfere with doing other stuff I really want to do. All along I've been shuffling my workouts around other things that are going on, and it's been working out quite nicely.

Two unplanned days off during the week would have thrown me for a huge loop at one time but this week I'm having trouble caring. I think I may be experiencing a case of burnout. A mini-case of temporary burnout. And the cure for burnout is a break, right?

I expect that by tomorrow I'll be craving my run and will probably head out with a lot more spring in my step than I would have last night. As for today, I'll be hanging out with the babe, soaking up more of this glorious sunshine, and watching a bunch of kids kill each other while I eat snacks. Tomorrow I'll work out. It all balances out.

You Might Also Like

0 comments